Florence is an unforgettable city with a ton to do. While it can get pricey there are a ton of free things to do in Florence. I’ve rounded up my favorites to give you guys a 2018 updated 15 Free Things To Do Florence . Take it from someone who lived in Florence, you don’t need a ton of money to realize la vita è bella (life is beautiful).
15 Free Things To Do Florence
1. Hike to the Piazzale Michelangelo and watch the sun set over Florence. This is a must whenever I am in Florence. Get there early to scoop up the best spot.
2. Have a picnic on one of the bridges over the Arno. While this is technically allowed I’ve never seen or heard of anyone getting kicked out. However the bridges are old so don’t pack on a ton of snacks in your basket 😉
3. Explore the leather markets and catch up on your bargaining skills. Italy is known for its leather so have a look. Whether you are looking to buy or just peruse there is a lot of action to be seen at the markets.
4. Sun bathe on the pop-up beach along the Arno river. As soon as summer hits it gets hot in Florence and this is my favorite free way to cool down (non free way is eating gelato of course).
5. Hike up to San Miniato for an incredible view of Florence minus the crowds. If you want a free less crowded view of Florence head out here mid day it will be way less crowded than sunset. This was my favorite “workout” when I lived in Florence.
6. Experience the local nightlife frenzy especially around Santo Spirito. For a city so small Florence has a big night life scene. Sometimes id walk around at night just so I could people watch and take in Florence all a glow.
7. Walk the Ponte Vecchio and window shop the jewelry shops. The Ponte Vecchio is the only surviving bridge after World War 2. It’s history is really interesting and walking along it transports you back in time.
8. Marvel at the Ponte Vecchio from Santa Trinta. This is where you will get the best view of the bridge especially during sunset.
9. Experience live music in a piazza or on the Ponte Vecchio. If living in Florence proved anything its Italians love to celebrate. There is always some kind of performance or a festival going on so join in and live like the locals.
10. Visit the San Miniato Al Monte which is free to the public. Unlike some of the other Cathedrals this one is usually less busy and free.
11. Visit the Mercato Centrale and oh and ah at all the amazing food and produce vendors. You can also find some budget eats here or grab an expresso to people watch.
12. Marvel at the Duomo in Santa Maria del Fiore cathedral, which is free to enter. Just remember to wear appropriate clothing. Nothing shorter than your knees and shoulders covered. The Duomo is incredible remember to take a break or you may have a stiff neck the next day.
13. Take a free walking tour and learn about the history of Florence. One of my favorite things to do in any city is take a free walking tour. Besides being free they are usually led by college students who will have a lot of great information on where to eat and drink.
14. Visit Santa Maria Novella which houses pieces of Giotto and Masaccio. Giotto just so happens to be one of my favorite artists. After leaving Florence I know many will agree with me.
15. Stroll the Arno river and smile because you’re in Florence. La vita è un sogno – Life is a dream
More Blog Posts on Italy HERE.